My Weight Loss Tracker

MY EXERCISE DIARY

18 December 2009

what's for lunch? Soup and Sandwich, please. :)

Ok, have I mentioned before how much I LOVE atkins in that you can pretty much make *almost* anything low-carb, if you really try?... :D

I've been hankerin' to find a really good bread recipe in order to have sandwiches for lunch...and I FINALLY found one - here: Dark Rye Bread.

Usually, in the past, I would use Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed meal which is the flaxseed I've pretty much been buying all year...however I decided to try the Bob's Red Mill Organic Golden Flaxseed Meal instead and used THAT in the bread recipe instead...

It is SO much better with the golden flaxseed than the regular! At least for baking anyways! :)

So I made the bread last week in a regular meatloaf pan and I was able to cut it in half and then those two halves I cut into 4 slices each for a total of 8 slices of bread!

*note* I also used liquid stevia and not agave nector.

The entire bread recipe came out to:
1 cup almond meal = 24 g carbs, 12 g fiber
3/4 cup flax = according to the package it's 4 g carbs/4 g fiber per 2 tbsp which in net carbs = all fiber = 0 g net carbs...but I think it's 1 g usuable carbs and 3 g fiber...so count this as you want to.
3 eggs = 1.8 g carbs
1/2 tsp baking powder = 1.2 g carbs (just to round out the eggs)

= without counting any carbs from the flax seeds and counting the flax as all fiber then 27 g carbs and 12 g fiber = 15 g carbs for the entire thing and divide that by 8 = 1.875 carbs per slice (round up to about 2 g per slice!)

so for a sandwich with 2 slices of bread (which holds up VERY well and doesn't fall apart!) it's 4 g carbs!


SO the sandwich consisted of: 1 tbsp mayo, 1 slice provolone cheese, lettuce & all natural ham (no preservatives, no sugar, no nitrates or nitrites)...

The soup I made was VERY yummy...I started off by somewhat following the recipe found here: Cauliflower Bisque. But instead of using the stovetop, I used a crockpot and came up with this:

1 small cauliflower, cut into small chunks
a few leaves of leek, chopped
2 long celery stalks, choped
3 cups chicken broth
salt & pepper

+1 cup heavy cream (do not put in crockpot with above ingredients)

place those ingredients into the crockpot and put on high for 4 hours.

Once done, remove and place into a blender or food processor and puree soup.
Add about 1 cup heavy cream and more salt/pepper. Mix well. Serve immediately or works well as lunch the next day!

I love atkins!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment