Ok - so I'm in need of a "whining" session. Sometimes I just want to scream and throw a tantrum like I'm a 2 year old in walmart.
I've posted many times about how much I absolutely LOVE my low-carb way of eating. I'm very happy that I've finally found what works in order to keep myself healthy and thin. I love how tasty this way of life is. I love how EASY this way of life is - in terms of NOT having to count anything anymore and worry about gaining weight, as long as I eat the things I know will not spike my insulin and make me fat...
However - that being said - i HATE the fact that I can't just eat WHATEVER I want. I HATE the fact that I can't go to Buffalo Wild Wings and get what I used to get...
Boneless (breaded) buffalo wings with a side order of cheesy buffalo chips (fried potatoes) & a beer.
I HATE the fact that I can't have oreos & milk at night like I used to.
It's not fair that I feel like I'm walking on eggshells just to keep my weight down.
The thing is - I'm so freakin' carb sensitive that even ONE "cheat meal" makes me gain weight. I do have them once in a blue moon - but I know I must get right back on track immediately or else I will gain all my weight back.
That's just it about my woe/lifestyle. I feel very fortunate to have FINALLY found what works - and I KNOW it works...it's just that - in this day and age of convenience and fast food - in order to keep my weight down and stay healthy, I can't partake in convenience foods.
And that's something else that sucks, because I work 40+ hours 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and dangdit I want convenience! :P
BUT - with all of that whining said...the pros totally outweigh the cons.
Here are th cons I feel first...
CONS of Low-Carb Living:
- Can't eat whatever I want, when I want.
- I totally admit that I miss certain foods I can't eat anymore.
- There are no "convenience" meals on this woe and everything has to be prepared in advance for lunch, or I spend $$ that I don't have to go out...
- I can't eat how I used to in a pinch - specifically I can't just make a baked tater every single night for dinner...taters are too high in starch. :(
- When I go out to eat, there's honestly only a FEW options that I can choose off of most menus
Pros of Low-Carb living:
- I don't have to count any calories, points, fat grams, carbs, etc...as it is SO easy to know what to eat and what not to eat!
- When I go out to a resteraunt, I can eat a YUMMY steak and vegee and not feel guilty over the steak - and instead feel satisfied and satiated!
- Being 'allowed' to eat real fat and not being afraid of it!
- Fat really flavors food!!!
- I don't have to try at all anymore to actually LOSE weight. Maintaining my weight is a freakin' BREEZE (as long as I eat low-carb...)
- Eating Low-Carb has really upped my interest in cooking and always finding new recipes to try...
- In trying new recipes - I don't have to weigh/measure everything to make sure I know exactly how many calories/fat/points/carbs, etc...is in what I'm making.
- I have been introduced to tons of new foods I'd have never tried in the past such as almond/nut flours, jicama, cherry tomatoes (I used to hate these, now I love them!)
- I can eat nuts without feeling guilty!
So yeah...I could go on and on and on with the pros of this lifestyle - and THAT'S what keeps me going. Does it suck to think of the cons? Yes - there's no question...Do I miss junk food / convenience foods / chips, cookies, brownies, etc?...You bet your butt I do!
BUT again - it's not worth it. And I know that. That's the difference...
One of my favorite quotes ever is:
"Nothing worth doing ever came easy."
Ok - that is all. Just felt the need to whine! :P