My Weight Loss Tracker

MY EXERCISE DIARY

18 October 2009

"The Mood Cure", 5-HTP and other vitamins...

Ok so I try to take vitamins I think I need...obviously (for the most part) vitamins that people take are taken of their own accord and not necessarily what their doctor told them they need or are deficient of.

I WAS taking a multi-vitamin (centrum silver) but I threw those out today. I actually only took a few of those total and I haven't taken really any since my surgery. My ear doc told me to stop all vitamins two weeks prior to and two weeks post of my surgery...so the multi I'd only JUST bought before they told me to stop them...and really even when I began slowly bringing my vitamins back inTO my diet, I just didn't really start the multis...for some reason the centrum silver just makes me feel weird. :(
So as of right now I am NOT taking a multi-vitamin.

Here is the list of vitamins I currently take and why I THINK I need them...lol. :P

Omega-3 Fish Oil 1200 mg - 2/day (total 2400 mg) - 1 in the morning and 1 at night
One reason I take fish oil is because my eye doctor suggested I take Fish & Flaxseed for my dry eye.
Clinical studies also show that DHA and EPA help lower triglycerides, slow the buildup of atherosclerotic plaques, lower blood pressure slightly, as well as reduce the risk of death, heart attack, and arrhythmias.
Fish oil can also help with fat-burning.

Flaxseed oil - 1300 mg - 2/day (total 2400 mg) - 1 in the morning and 1 at night
Flaxseed is another omega-3 oil and again, my doc recommended I take this to help with the dry eye.
The cells of the body need omega 3 fatty acids because cell membranes are built from omega-3's and they help protect the membranes as well. The brain is largely composed of fats made from essential fatty acids and they are called phospholipids. These oils are essential for the function and structure of the brain. Cognition, memory, moods and concentration can be improved with these oils.

btw, I have dry eye since having lasik surgery done in 2003 (I am also on a prescription eye drop)...

Tonalin XS-CLA - 1 g - 5/day (total 5 g) - 2 at breakfast, 2 at lunch & 1 at dinner (only taking these for about 1 week now)
The first reason I started CLA is mainly for it's ability to reduce body fat. CLA is a fatty acid essential to the human body. It stands for Conjugated Linoleic Acid. Again, it has been shown - through studies - that CLA greatly helps reduce fat and promotes lean muscle mass.

Vitamin D - 2000iu - 2/day (total 4000 iu)
Basically, most people are deficient in Vitamin D. So knowing that I burn very easily from the sun - and the sun is the best source OF Vitamin D, I take this in pill form.

L-Glutamine Powder - 4500 mg/heaping tsp - 1/day - at breakfast in my hot tea or coffee
The first reason is that in the book, Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution - Dr. Atkins suggests using L-Glutamine to help with carb cravings.

NSI CoQ10 + Alpha Lipoic Acid + Acetyl L-Carnitine - 1/day at lunch
  • Acetyl L-Carnitine - 250 mg
  • Alpha Lipoic Acid - 250 mg
  • Co-Enzyme Q10 - 200 mg

L-Carnitine is known for being a nutrient that helps the body turn fat into energy - basically a fat burner.
Alpha Lipoic Acid is known for being a nutrient that helps the body convert glucose, blood sugar, into energy.
Co-Q10 helps fight diseases and helps with energy.

Super B Complex with C - 1/day - at lunch (I only JUST bought these yesterday...)
this has:
  • Vitamin C - 150 mg
  • Thiamin (Vitamin B1) - 10 mg
    Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) - 10 mg
  • Niacin - 25 mg
  • Vitamin B6 - 4 mg
  • Folic Acid - 400 mg
  • Vitamin B12 - 15 mcg
  • Biotin - 30 mcg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 5.5 mg


B-Complex supports energy & helps offset stress. Plus it will help with the 5-HTP

And here's a list of what I JUST ordered and am waiting for these to arrive in the mail...
NSI BioAsteri Borage Oil - 1300 mg
NSI 5-HTP - 100 mg
NSI Green Tea Extract - 500 mg

The Borage Oil will help with fat burning alongside the CLA as it's a GLA - Gamma-Linolenic Acid

The 5-HTP is 5-Hydroxytryptophan is an amino acid that is used as an antidepressant, appetite suppressant and a sleep aid. I'm VERY excited about the sleep-aid part as it is supposed to help with Seratonin levels AND Melatonin levels.
My sleep is AWEFUL! I do have insomnia and some nights I'm lucky to get 3 hours total of sleep. Usually it's like this: "hey - it's 2 a.m....look it's 4 a.m....look at that it's 6 a.m...."

And the Green Tea Extract is for its anti-oxidant properties as well as fat-burning properties.



NOW - the "Mood Cure"...I have been researching this book all weekend - as it was suggested on my low-carb friends board (along with the 5-HTP. What I know about this book so far is it has REALLY helped a LOT Of people with their emotions and sleep habits. Now I'm not sure if I need to have the stress/anti-depressent properties, but I will admit some days I am TOTALLY stressed out, especially about money - so I think it'll be an added bonus...

Here's a link to the amazon page: The Mood Cure

Right now I've only reserved it at the library - but we will see, once I read it, if I decide to buy a copy.

WHEW. that was a long post! ok - time for sleep (haha, if i can get any...btw - I also use Valerian Root to sleep)..

No comments:

Post a Comment